CREATING HEALTHY SCHOOLS AND COMMUNITIES
A program of the Department of Health and Wellness, Creating Healthy Schools and Communities (CHSC) is a 5-year (2021-2026) NYSDOH-funded project that supports policy, system, and environmental changes to help make the healthy choice, the easy choice in the City of Kingston. CHSC does this by supporting communities in implementing evidence-based physical activity and nutrition strategies that build upon existin community assets and coalitions, and leverages resources from multiple stakeholders and sectors.
To achieve these goals, the project focuses on 5 strategic areas:
- Food Service Guidelines: Supporting community and worksites to create, implement, and promote food and nutrition guidelines in their food service venues.
- Connecting Routes to Destinations: Community planning and active transportation interventions to increase safe and accessible physical activity.
- School Nutrition & Physical Activity: Working with school officials, staff, and parents to implement improved policies and practices that create a supportive and healthy physical activity and nutrition environment.
- Early Care & Education: Improved policies, practices, and environments for physical activity and nutrition in early child care settings.
- Communications & Sustainability: Intentional and thoughtful communication with the community, media, and legislature to support behavior change, policy change, and convey critical information.
Current Projects: TBA
Completed Projects: TBA
For more information on CHSC, or if you'd like to inquire about how to become a community partner, please contact the Project Manager, Kristin Kessler, at [email protected] or 845-334-3917.