Mayor Steve Noble
Steven T. Noble
Fax (845) 334-3904
Kingston, New York 12401
About Mayor Steve Noble:
Mayor Steve Noble was born and raised in the City of Kingston. He attended the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, graduating with a degree in Environmental Science in 2004. He then returned to Kingston and began his ten year career at the City of Kingston’s Parks and Recreation Department, serving as an Environmental Educator and then as an Environmental Operations Specialist. During his tenure with the department, he secured millions of dollars in grant funding to implement single stream recycling in Kingston, to support infrastructure and transportation projects, and to develop and sustain innovative youth programming, including the area’s premier environmental education programs. Steve left the department when he was elected Mayor of Kingston and began his term on January 1, 2016, with the commitment of building an open and accessible form of government, one that is based on the principles of professionalism, respect, and inclusiveness. Steve’s commitment to public service extends beyond his career with the City of Kingston; he has held leadership positions with the Ulster County Resource Recovery Agency, Environmental Management Council, and the Hudson River Estuary Management Committee, and is the co-founder of the Kingston Land Trust.
Key Focus Areas
- Maintaining and improving infrastructure
- Attracting and retaining responsible businesses
- Increasing citizen engagement and building a more open and accessible government
- Supporting arts and culture
- Building a sustainable community, promoting environmental stewardship and protecting Kingston's natural resources
- Ensuring that all residents have access to safe, quality housing
- Building a more connected community through an improved transportation system
- Expanding recruitment efforts to develop a diverse and skilled city workforce that reflects the community we serve
- Improving public health and wellness efforts
About the position of Mayor:
In the City of Kingston, a full time Mayor serves as Chief Executive Officer. The mayoral term is four years. As the top elected official, the Mayor oversees operation of the City, reviewing departmental specifics with all department heads. He is responsible for the annual City budget, which is presented to the Common Council for its review in October of each calendar year. He also appoints commissioners or board members who serve either in a policy setting or advisory capacity. The Mayor can submit proposed legislation to the Common Council for referral to the appropriate Committee for their consideration and he has the power to veto any legislation it passes when he deems it not in the best interest of the City. This power is rarely used since most issues are explored and discussed prior to the final legislative step.
2017 State of the City Address
View the City Charter, which includes the General Powers and Duties of the Mayor, here.
Sign up to receive Mayor Noble's weekly newsletter by e-mail here.