Civil Service Commission
- Bernice Arra - Chairperson
- Susan Wallace
- Audrey Kithcart
Municipal civil service commissions in New York State perform legislative, executive and judicial functions: legislative when making rules which have the force and effect of law; executive when administering the merit system, including determining general policy and establishing internal procedures; judicial when considering appeals from Civil Service Law decisions such as examination, position classification, and disciplinary actions.
The following outlines some of the statutory duties of a municipal civil service commission with citations to the sections of the Civil Service Law which apply. Each municipal civil service commission shall:
- Administer the provisions of the Civil Service Law (Section 17)
- Prescribe, amend and enforce suitable rules covering jurisdictional and position classifications, examinations, appointments, promotions, transfers, resignations and reinstatements (Section 20)
- Have power to investigate the enforcement and effect of the Civil Service Law and Rules (Section 21)
- Certify appropriate titles for new positions (Section 22)
- Report to the State Civil Service Commission on how the law and rules are administered (Section 26)
- Ascertain the merit and fitness of applications for competitive class positions (Section 50)
- Certify eligible lists for appointments (Section 61)
- Assist others in carrying out the duties of public officers (Section 95)
- Maintain in detail the employment history of each employee (Section 97)
- Certify payrolls (Section 100)
City of Kingston Rules & Regulations (adopted March 8, 2016)
Appendices to Rules & Regulations
Civil Service Examination Schedule
Click on the exam title to view/print the announcement. If none are listed there are no exam announcements posted at this time.
Job Vacancy :
We are currently accepting applications for our Summer Parks Program. Various jobs are available. If interested please stop by the Civil Service Office to obtain an application. Please drop off applications for seasonal positions directly at the Andy Murphy Center.
Recreation Assistant - Seasonal/Part time
Park Maintenance Supervisor - Applications must be received in the Civil Service Office no later than 3:00pm on Friday, May 27, 2016.
Forms, Policies & Announcements
Listing files in 'Civil Service Documents'
Kingston, NY 12401
Phone: (845) 334-3921
Fax: (845) 334-3946